Thursday, August 6, 2009

MOKOKCHUNG SIGHTS AND SOUNDS


For someone who is not very familiar with the native turf, spending four days in Mokokchung last week was more than a pleasing experience. I had been there twice earlier on transit en-route to Tuensang while on official duty but had not really got the time to walk around the place as much as I wanted to, since both times it was either in the late evening or just resting for the night at the Circuit House. And this time too, although it was just another one such trip, I was fortunate to stay back for the weekend to see the sights and experience the sounds of what many term it as a place one would want to visit again and again…

The Tourist Lodge where we were put up was situated at a hillock from where we could see almost half of the town down below. The Lodge, surrounded by trees and foliage, had a beautiful ‘morung’ outside serving as a sit-out. The rooms were well maintained with modern amenities including an ‘internet den’ and a tourism kiosk at the lobby. And I loved the tea so much that I must have had more than five cups a day. I was told that there is a view point park just behind the Lodge which is a good spot to take photographs of the town. But due to the hectic schedules, late nights and equally late mornings, I was not able to go up to take a look at the view. This gives me one of the reasons to revisit the place.

After the usual frenzied official duties got over, our group decided to take a short sightseeing trip of the neighbouring villages on the last day of our stay; a sabbath day for all and a day full of hustle and bustle for the rest of us. Ironic I know, but I would prefer calling it as quirk of fate. The drive up to neighbouring Longkhum village was the most pleasant ride I could gather after the long arduous journey on the almost collapsing highway few days before. It was a refreshing landscape with small black – topped roads bordered with cherry trees and the balmy weather only adding to its charm. The ride reminded me of the beautiful way up to Rumtek Monastery in Sikkim; the roads are equally small albeit with more windings and there are similar pretty scenes to behold with prayer flags flapping on the road sides. It is just that in Rumtek I loved the journey more than the destination but while in Longkhum I treasured both.

Longkhum is a quaint hamlet seeped in traditions and folklore. The village has a number of places of interest and one can spend so many hours just looking around at the surrounding lush mountains. There is a spot high up in the village from where I am told that the whole of Ao area can be seen. We climbed up but the fog had enveloped the entire backdrop and I only felt like walking in the clouds. I could imagine what the landscape would look like on a clear sunny day and this has given me another reason to go back. As it was a Sunday, most of the people had gone to the Church and the street appeared sleepy, almost deserted. Somehow the place seemed to emanate an enchanting old world charm and legend has it that once we visit Longkhum we leave our souls there, which means we have to visit the place again to retrieve our soul.

Mopungchukit was another nearby village that we stopped over, another wonderful place which has already been declared a tourist destination by the state government. It lacked the serenity of Longkhum but was delightful all the same. Here also it was the roads which attracted me, a place where even the village roads were properly painted with traffic signs. After visiting few houses and a lovely park built like an amphitheatre with spectacular wood carvings and statuettes, we stopped by a small colourful morung-type souvenir shop on the roadside. Although the owner reluctantly opened the shop for us, it being a Sunday, he must have been pleased with the transaction as we almost emptied the stock.

One thing I have noticed and appreciated in Mokokchung is the civic sense of the residents and how properly the township is maintained. It appeared so clean that I came back with a lot of chewing gums wrapped in paper tucked away somewhere in my handbag. The villages are also clean I’m told. And I also came across old colonial type of wooden buildings even in the main town which had an appeal of its own. One building that I immediately took a liking to was a small double storied white wooden colonial house with a small balcony with wooden paling. The white paints were withered and flaking but I could instantly make out that the house would look marvelous with colourful hanging flower pots and green plants around the fence.

Next time I would love to drive around leisurely to all the neighbouring areas around Mokokchung, soak in the richness and beauty of the pristine surroundings and discover many new and lovely enriching experiences. What's more, the place is no doubt a photographer’s delight and I hope to capture a lot of memorable moments too. Besides, I also have the best reason to return to Mokokchung - to reclaim my soul from Longkhum…

3 comments:

  1. Nice Insight ! More could have been written about the Tourist Lodge though... LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha I know, those details na...have a feeling that you know more than me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ! Lovely piece on Mokokchung. I am a travel writer from Mumbai and recently travelled to Kohima & Mokokchung. I am now looking at getting some deep knowledge regarding the culture of growing flowers in little pots everywhere in Nagaland. A national daily has asked me to expand on this aspect and I need some help. Do you think you can help me with this ? I can send you my interview questions by email. You may access my blog and work below to know more about me. And my email ID is richagupta83@gmail.com . Many thanks ! - Richa Gupta

    http://travels-and-stories.blogspot.in/

    http://thebluedawn.com

    https://www.facebook.com/thebluedawn

    ReplyDelete